Page 1 / 4
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Head of Sub-Office
Number of Positions : 01
Duty Station : Mopti, Mali
Classification : National Officer, Grade NOA
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30.08.2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of
migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental
partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all.
It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the
Emergency Coordinator and in close coordination with Programme and Liaison Coordinator,
the Heads of Units and the Resources Management Officer, the successful candidate will be
accountable for coordinating the overall effective management of IOM Mali staff, assets and
other resources and will be responsible for contributing to the programmeimplementation
planning and development, monitoring and evaluation of IOM activities inthe sub-office of
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Maintain overall organizational management at the Sub-Office level and coordinate
the overall implementation of the strategic vision under the guidance and leadership
of the CoM.
2. In coordination with the RMO and relevant IOM units in Bamako and in accordance
with relevant Mission directives and instructions, oversee sub-office administration,
finances, and local procurement activities, while establishing proper archival and
documentation systems in the Office. Support the Project Managers/ Head of Units in
overseeing the day to day activities implemented out of the sub-office.
3. Maintain good relationships with local authorities and partners and organize meetings
for the Project Managers, Chief of Mission and donors as may be required.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external
candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal
candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Page 2 / 4
4. Report any sudden changes to the overall migration dynamics in the duty station
region and flag any arising issues to the Supervisor and respective project managers.
5. Facilitate assessments in the area of responsibility to identify programme gaps;
recommend new actions and solutions to problems
6. Participate in specific monitoring exercises as assigned.
7. Conduct preliminary analysis of the overall situation and raise arising issues within
the hierarchy to the required project or unit.
8. Keep track of different workplans established within the sub-office to avoid overlap
and meeting of goals.
9. Flag and bring to the attention of the project manager delays or challenges in regard
to compliance issues with the donor requirements.
10. Participate in specific field monitoring missions as required.
11. Oversee programme implementation in the region of Mopti.
12. Prepare inputs for project development according to specific needs and situation
analysis in accordance with IOM project development standards in close coordination
with the Programme and Liaison Coordinator.
13. Prepare informational products for regular or ad hoc meetings and presentations with
cluster members, the Malian Government, other NGOs, UN Agencies and civil society,
as well as respond to information requests from partners.
14. Provide weekly reports to the Program Coordination team in Bamako and advice on
the strategy and methodology to be adopted for programs at the regional level.
15. Develop and maintain close liaison with local authorities (including), UN agencies,
NGOs, representing IOM as the UN Migration Agency at these meetings and ensuring
IOM’s mandate is represented.
16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in International Relations, Human Rights, Peace and Conflict Studies,
Political or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution;
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional
• Experience in the field of migration
• Experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment.
• Experience in IDP/migrants protection or relevant human rights and legal
• Significant experience in reporting with donor’s requirements.
• Significant experience with rural development, ideally in the field of productive asset
• Experience in mentoring and staff development.
• Experience with project development and donor liaison
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with
national and international institutions;
Page 3 / 4
• Excellent drafting ability and analytical skills, in particular the ability to draft papers of
high quality primarily in French.
• Good knowledge of internal and international migration issues;
• Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to perform a variety of conceptual
analyses required for the development, implementation, and evaluation of projects.
• Good knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques
• Good documentation skills in donor proposals and narrative reports.
• Good level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English and French is required.
Fluency in any local language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and
committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to
achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and
timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and
assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication;
explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies1 – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates
the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
1 As applicable.
Page 4 / 4
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals
and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
All applicants must hold Malian nationality.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and Cover letter) via email
at firstname.lastname@example.org , by August 30, 2023 at the latest, referring to this
advertisement EXT-VN- ML-03- 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 15.08.2023 to 30.08.2023