Team Leader, Strategy Baseline Survey
USAID Mali Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Platform
Social Impact, Inc. (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity-building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors, including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits. SI is currently implementing the USAID Mali Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Platform. Under the MEL Platform’s Component 2 – Evaluation Services and Surveys, SI will carry out the Strategy Baseline Survey.
The USAID Mali Mission requires the services of the MEL Platform to carry out a baseline survey to measure the outcome variables that will enable USAID Mali to track the general success of its 2023-2027 Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS). USAID’s CDCS goal will contribute to Malian efforts to advance a more stable, peaceful, and resilient country. USAID will pursue this goal through an integrated approach across Development Objectives (DOs). DO1: improved governance for stronger democratic institutions; DO2: solidified and deepened development gains (health, education, economic) in targeted areas; and Special Objective (SpO): improved outcomes across the humanitarian-development-peace (HDP) nexus to save lives and increase resiliency. This strategic approach focuses on protecting and preserving prior development gains while enhancing collaboration and coordination across humanitarian assistance (HA) and development assistance (DA) investments to advance resiliency and stabilization.
The new strategy also represents a deliberate effort to break down barriers between humanitarian and development assistance to maximize the short- and longer-term benefits of USG investments (SpO). Underpinning the approach are scenario-based planning options that will rely on analytical data collected through USAID’s Mali MEL Platform to inform programming decisions.
SI is seeking a Team Leader (TL) to lead the Strategy Baseline Survey. The TL will be ultimately responsible for the overall management of the Strategy Baseline Survey team, coordinating the implementation of the Survey, assigning responsibilities and tasks, and authoring the final baseline report in conformity with this Statement of Work (SOW). The TL must be an experienced quantitative evaluation expert, with a documented track record of 10 years of experience in the field of evaluation/research. The TL should have a strong background in data analysis and capacity building. The TL should be fluent in both French and English. The TL should have at least a master’s degree in Statistics, Political Science, or Public Administration. This position requires field visits within Mali. International candidates who meet the specified qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Under the supervision of the MEL Platform Chief of Party (COP) in Mali, the TL will work directly with the Strategy Baseline Survey Project Director (PD) at SI-HQ, and the Local Statistician Expert (LSE) at the field level to design and implement the Baseline Strategy Survey.
The TL is ultimately responsible for the overall management of the Survey team and final products, including the timely production of high-quality deliverables associated with this Survey in conformity with this SOW.
- Lead the development of all deliverables, the Work plan, Updated Mission Performance Management Plan, the Strategy Baseline Survey Design (including methodology, instruments, Budget), lead the In-briefing and the out-briefing, the draft baseline survey Report, and the final Strategy Baseline Report.
- Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis.
- Coordinate and oversee the Baseline team members locally hired to conduct data collection.
- Perform analysis from the data collected.
- Coordinate the work of the local data collection firm mobilized to support data collection including in hard-to-reach areas.
- Provide technical review of the data collection firm’s processes for cleaning qualitative and quantitative data.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the Baseline design, key findings, conclusions, and recommendations to USAID together with the Baseline team.
- Plan the Baseline, coordinate the baseline implementation, assign responsibilities and tasks, and author the final Baseline report.
- Write the draft Baseline report with support from the team members, taking into consideration feedback from USAID after presentations and workshops.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise.
- Master’s degree in degree in Education, Statistics, Political Science, or Public Administration.
- Experienced quantitative evaluation expert, with a documented track record of 10 years of experience in the field of evaluation/research.
- With strong background in data analysis and capacity building.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in program performance and/or impact evaluation and/or research/special studies design, methodology, and processes.
- Experience in directing qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated expertise in planning, facilitation, and consensus building, trainings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including experience successfully interacting with USAID, Implementing Partners (IPs), host government officials, civil society partners, and other stakeholders.
- Work experience with USAID will also be an asset.
- Excellent team leadership and management skills, and excellent organizational skills and ability to keep to a timeline.
- Full professional-level fluency in both French and English (writing, speaking, and reading) required.
The deadline for application is August 18, 2023. Suitable candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis.
Please apply directly on our Careers page here: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SOCIIMPA2&cws=39&rid=4549
Join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.