West & Central Africa Program – Program Office
. Skill Country Representative Mali . Experience 10 – 15 yrs . Location Mali
ICRISAT seeks applications from dynamic and highly innovative candidates to lead ICRISAT Country Program in Mali. The ICRISAT Country Representative is responsible for leading and managing the Country Program and for translating ICRISAT’s strategic priority in line with regional and national priorities, into development initiatives and results by developing, implementing and managing programs and projects for the country; and developing effective partnerships with Government counterparts, national agencies and organizations and with bilateral and non-traditional donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships and mobilization of visibility and resources to advance ICRISAT Mandate. The selected candidate shall be based at ICRISAT- Bamako in Mali The position will report directly to the Africa Regional Director.
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non- political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in the drylands of Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid or dryland tropics is home to over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor.
ICRISAT and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana State, in India, with two regional hubs (Nairobi, Kenya and Bamako, Mali) and country offices in Niger, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Ethiopia and Mozambique.
ICRISAT conducts research on six highly nutritious drought-tolerant crops: chickpea, pigeon pea, pearl millet, finger millet, sorghum and groundnut. ICRISAT envisions prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics by reducing poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics through partnership-based international agricultural research for development that embodies Science with a Human Face. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Represent ICRISAT in Mali through liaison with governments, national networks and authorities, organizations and initiatives;
- Assess national developmental trends and identify emerging issues of relevance to the mandate of ICRISAT, identify strategic program opportunities for development planning to advance ICRISAT goals and objectives in the country;
- Lead the formulation, planning and preparation of the Country strategic priority, based on ICRISAT’s strategic priority and regional and national priorities, in collaboration/consultation with government and other stakeholders;
- Enhance partnerships in Mali, especially with regional/sub-regional organizations, national agricultural research and extension systems (NARES), non-governmental organizations and the private sector;
- Implement the Institutional Resource Mobilization Strategy in Mali and ensure its success.
- Contribute to develop innovative funding strategies for ICRISAT in Mali.
- Collaborate with Research Program Directors and the Business Development to convert opportunities into Programs or Projects for the country.
- Contribute to the strategic management and leadership of the Institute;
- Provide staff oversight and research support for project implementation
- Monitor project implementation and staff performance; and share feedback with the Research Program Directors for performance management.
- Lead, coordinate, review and monitor research activities for the country, including resource mobilization, annual budgeting, research planning, priority assessment, proposal development, partnership relations, staff evaluation and research reporting;
- Nurture and sustain internal cross-program interactions and teamwork, working closely with other Directors and leaders in ICRISAT to ensure strong support for and engagement with the implementation of research activities globally;
- Assist in public awareness activities and greater visibility of ICRISAT in the region;
- Perform other responsibilities assigned by Regional Director.
- The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- PhD in Agricultural or Plant Sciences, Development Studies or related fields.
- Work experience of at least 15 years in international agricultural research for development with high levels of quality research outputs.
- Proven capability to manage a large research program, including all aspects of project management: managing budgets and staff, building and managing partnerships, monitoring and evaluating impacts and leading a diverse team.
- Experience in systems research where multiple stakeholders, including public policymakers, the private sector and agribusiness are involved in achieving research outcomes.
- Experience in addressing governance, institutional and market aspects of agriculture with examples of successful research and development interventions.
- Demonstrated commitment to mentoring of staff, a safe workplace and protection of the environment.
- Strong motivation and leadership skills to bring out the best from both individuals and teams.
- Ability to establish, nurture and oversee multi-cultural, gender-sensitive multidisciplinary research teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in written and oral communications and public awareness activities.
- Demonstrated championing the critical areas of gender, youth, nutrition, knowledge sharing and innovation.
- Demonstration of an entrepreneurial spirit with aptitude for innovation.
- Lead or co-contribute evidenced impacts, globally
- Demonstrated experience in resource mobilization and knowledge sharing
- Strong project management ability and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French
How to apply
Applicants should apply on or before 23 June 2023 on email@example.com with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT offers a rewarding career opportunity in dryland agricultural research to have a lasting impact on millions of lives and communities. The state-of-the-art research infrastructure with high performance culture, ICRISAT provides global exposure and learning.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer