Job Announcement – Mali Service Center Deputy Director
The Mali Service Center (MSC) was established by the Government of Mali to operate as an independent service center for the management of research funding provided to the University of Bamako or other entities within Mali by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other international donors.
The MSC Deputy Director supports the finance and operations activities for MSC in Mali. The Deputy Director ensures that adequate and appropriate internal controls are in place to meet generally recognized accounting standards, and supports the MSC Director in all bookkeeping, bank accounts and cash flow to ensure sufficient funds are available for effective and efficient implementation of the programs and activities. Additionally, tracks all project expenses and prepares monthly financial reports for TMG HQ. Also prepares monthly and yearly budget projections and maintains data on expenditures by line item, as well as produce and analyze budget variance reports The ideal candidate must have experience working in Mali. Malian candidate preferred.
Essential Job Functions:
– Tracks the accounting, finance and administration components of the program, including the various petty cash funds and field office finance, accounting and administrative activities;
– Coordinates and oversees program tendering and procurement activities in program countries and ensures strict compliance with USG
and donor regulations.
– Supports the MSC Director budget planning and management;
– Prepares expenditure analysis for overall program, and field offices;
– Maintains accurate and timely financial information and ensures cost control of all tasks and assignments to achieve the project objectives;
– Prepares cash projections for the programs;
– Prepares fund requests for programs and operations;
– Reviews all vouchers prepared by the finance team (disbursement, receipts, and general journal vouchers) for expenditures and ensures
that expenses are reasonable, allowable and allocable to the project.
– Coordinates payment of invoices with the field finance team.
– Reviews and approves field office fund request;
– Prepares, reviews and submits monthly financial reports;
– Supervises and provides leadership, mentoring and training to the field office finance team.
– Reviews petty cash replenishment requests prepared by the finance team and ensures compliance with NIH/TMG policies and procedures
regarding petty cash;
– Monitors employee time keeping and payroll payment procedures;
– In consultation with appropriate program staff, prepares and reviews project budgets and realignments;
– Develops and implements administrative and personnel systems;
– Supervises all finance and administrative staff and personnel employed by USTTB in country; and
– Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
– A minimum of 10-12 years of experience in progressively responsible management skills, including administration of programmatic, financial, and analytic activities.
– Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
– Experience in strategic planning and execution. Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management. Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures. Experience in formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
– Demonstrated performance in entrepreneurial development of a business or project.
– Experience with US Government or other International Donor development programs
– Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources. Ability to analyze and interpret financial data. Ability to identify and secure funding/revenue sources.
– Knowledge of public relations principles and practices. Knowledge of communication and public relation techniques. Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
– The work requires professional written and verbal communication and excellent interpersonal skills.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills in French and English, including demonstrated public speaking and presentation skills.
– Knowledge of computer software applications, Accounting software packages, Microsoft office applications including spreadsheets, word processing, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access are essential.
Qualified candidates should submit their CVs along with a cover letter by December 21, 2022, to email@example.com