Assistant Team Leader, Performance Baseline Study of the USAID/Mali Anka Jiko WASH Activity
Social Impact, Inc. (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity-building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors, including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits. SI is currently implementing the USAID/Mali Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Platform (USAID/Mali MEL Platform). Under the MEL Platform’s Component 2 – Evaluations, SI will carry out the Performance Baseline Study of the USAID/Mali Anka Jiko WASH activity.
The Anka Jiko Activity is a five-year intervention to support access to sustainable water supply and sanitation services and strengthen the enabling environment for sustainable delivery, operation, and maintenance of water and sanitation services. The Activity is targeting the Sikasso, Bougouni, and Koutiala regions of Mali with the objective to have 185,000 people gaining access to new or improved water services and 35,000 people gaining access to safely managed sanitation services. This baseline study and the follow-up mid-term and final performance evaluations are intended to measure whether WATSAN interventions in these communes have resulted in households and communities in the target communes having improved and sustainable access to water and sanitation services.
SI is seeking a WASH sector Specialist/Assistant Team Leader to support the Anka Jiko Baseline Survey. This position requires field visits within Mali. Work experience with USAID will be an asset and fluency in English, and French is required. Local/Malian candidates who meet the specified qualifications are highly encouraged to apply. The tentative period of performance (PoP) for this position is May – October 2023 and the expected level of effort (LOE) is 60 days.
Under the supervision of the MEL Platform Chief of Party (COP) in Mali, work directly with the evaluation Team Leader (TL) at the field level to design and implement the evaluation.
The Assistant Team Leader (ATL) will work with the Team Leader and contribute to the overall management of the evaluation products, including the timely production of high-quality deliverables associated with this evaluation in conformity with this Scope of Work. Responsibilities include:
- Provide sector-specific expertise in WASH, and evaluation approaches and methods in the design and implementation phases
- Contribute to the development of the desk review, the evaluation design including methodology, instruments, and work plans, the inception report,
- Support the TL in performing desk review and identifying additional information required for analysis,
- Assist the evaluation team members locally hired to conduct data collection for the evaluation,
- Facilitate the work of the local data collection firm mobilized to support data collection including in hard-to-reach areas,
- Support the TL in the technical review of the local data collection firm’s processes for cleaning qualitative and quantitative data,
- Assist the TL in the preparation and presentation of the evaluation design, key findings, conclusions, and recommendations to USAID together with the evaluation team
- Write selected sections of the draft evaluation report with support from the team, taking into consideration feedback from USAID & MELP after presentations and workshops
- Provide written responses to USAID comments on the draft report and support production of the final report,
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise
- Master’s degree in rural development, public health, economics, or other field relevant to this assignment.
- In-depth expertise in the WASH sector, particularly within the Mali context, including awareness and familiarity of key actors and stakeholders across the WASH sector.
- Experience in designing and implementing evaluations in the WASH sector and in conducting data collection and analysis.
- Experience in conducting evaluations in Mail and Western Africa; experience in coordinating large-scale surveys is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Work experience with USAID will be an asset.
- Malian nationals are strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English (including writing skills) and French is required. Knowledge of a local language relevant to the Sikasso, Bougouni, and Koutiala regions is preferred.
The deadline for application is April 20, 2023.
Suitable candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis.
Please apply directly on SI’s Careers page here: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SOCIIMPA2&cws=39&rid=4441
Join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.