Team Leader, Doniya Taabolo Impact Evaluation
USAID Mali Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Platform
Social Impact, Inc. (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity-building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors, including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
On November 10, 2022, USAID/Mali awarded the five-year Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Platform contract to SI. The purpose of the MEL Platform is to provide technical and advisory services to design and carry out various monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities for USAID/Mali. This contract has three major components: 1) USAID/Mali monitoring support through a Third-Party Monitoring (TPM) mechanism; 2) Evaluation Services and Surveys; and 3) Collaborating, Learning, and Adaptive Management and Communication Services.
The Doniya Taabolo (DT) Activity is a five-year Education Program under cooperative agreement, which will be implemented by EDC (Education Development Center) in the Regions of San, Segou, Diola, Bougouni, Sikasso, Koutiala, Koulikoro, and Bamako district (Mali). Doniya Taabolo will use the momentum of achievement in Mali to finish the drive to quality primary education for all. Building on proven methods and learning from the lessons of crisis implementation, the evaluation will refine and systematize an approach to foundational skills that is sustainable, adaptable, resilient, and expandable. The USAID Mali Mission requires the services of the Mali MEL Platform to conduct a baseline impact evaluation of the Doniya Taabolo Activity. The purpose of the baseline is to identify the comparison groups or areas and measure baseline indicators prior to project intervention.
SI is seeking a Team Leader (TL) to lead the Impact Evaluation of the Doniya Taabolo Activity. This position requires field visits within Mali. International candidates who meet the specified qualifications are encouraged to apply. The tentative period of performance (POP) for this position is February – October 2024 and the expected level of effort (LOE) is 60 days.
Under the supervision of the MEL Platform Chief of Party (COP) in Mali, the Team Leader will work directly with the evaluation Project Director (PD) at SI-HQ, the Project Manager at the SI Mali MEL Platform in Bamako and the Assistant Team Leader in Bamako to design and implement this impact evaluation. The TL is ultimately responsible for the overall management of the evaluation team and final products, including the timely production of high-quality deliverables associated with this evaluation in conformity with this Scope of Work (SOW). Responsibilities include:
- Lead the development of the desk review, the evaluation design including methodology, instruments, and work plans, the inception report
- Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis
- Coordinate and oversee the evaluation team members locally hired to conduct data collection for the evaluation
- Perform analysis from the data collected
- Coordinate the work of the local data collection firm mobilized to support data collection including in hard-to-reach areas
- Provide technical review of the data collection firm’s processes for cleaning qualitative and quantitative data
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the evaluation design and key findings, to USAID together with the evaluation team.
- Plan the evaluation, coordinate the baseline implementation, assign responsibilities and tasks, and author the final baseline report
- Write the draft baseline evaluation report with support from the team members, taking into consideration feedback from USAID & MEL Platform after presentations and workshops
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise
- Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in education, with a focus on early grade reading, writing, social science, mathematics or and/or related areas.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working on reading and writing assessment, curriculum design and instruction, and training of trainers.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the evaluation and design of effective inclusive curriculum and instructional approaches in a bilingual and transitional learning environment context for early grades.
- Experience ensuring the effective use of teaching and learning materials.
- Experience working on similar USAID or other donor-funded programs; familiarity with USAID regulations and policies preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience managing projects, programs, and evaluations in education or related fields,
- Documented track record of data analysis involving comparison of subgroups or two different populations using statistical methods.
- Extensive experience leading large, complex evaluations of projects utilizing both quantitative and qualitative methods; preferably of USAID projects
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated expertise in planning, facilitation, and consensus building
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including experience successfully interacting with USAID or other donors, Implementing Partners, host government officials, civil society partners, and other stakeholders
- Excellent team leadership and management skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to keep to a timeline
- Professional level English required; French proficiency is strongly preferred
The application deadline is January 20, 2024
Join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com.
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.