The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) Seeks a Scientific Officer
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi- arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these disadvantaged populations to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agricultural production systems. For more details, please visit – www.icrisat.org.
ICRISAT is seeking applications for the position of Scientific Officer, under the direct supervision of project leader, to assist with activities under the “Sustainable Animal Productivity for Livelihoods, Nutrition and Gender Inclusion (SAPLING)” project under the ILRI office in Mali, located at ICRISAT-Bamako Research Station in Samanko, Mali.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases. www.ilri.org
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2015, an operating budget of about USD 83 million. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia. www.cgiar.org
The duty station: ILRI office at ICRISAT-Bamako Research Station in Samanko, Mali.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Scientific Officer will perform the following tasks under the direction of the of project leader:
- Contribute to the design, planning and lead the implementation of the SAPLING technologies (herd health and technological packages of small ruminants, feed and genetics, value chains)
- Oversee implementation of research activities by partners including the follow up of Collaborative Research Agreements (CRA).
- Lead project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning activities
- Lead field surveys design using ODK, data collection and processing and analysis.
- Supervise field assistants and enumerators during collection of epidemiological, PPR vaccine validation, feeds and forages and socio-economic data.
- Engage with project partners and government institutions to disseminate project outputs through meetings and feedback workshops.
- Write technical reports, brief and other communication materials.
- Participate in the preparation and publication of research results/reports.
- Assist in organizing workshops, training or field work as required.
- Degree in Veterinary Medicine, with an MSc degree or equivalent in animal production
- 3 to 5 years of relevant professional experience, in a multidisciplinary working environment in livestock especially small ruminants
- Good knowledge of the livestock production systems in Mali
- Good skills on questionnaire design using ODK and data management
- Strong computer skills in relevant office application software packages (i.e., MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access).
- Strong statistical analysis skills (i.e., STATA, SPSS)
- Ability to meet set goals consistently, while remaining focused and goal oriented
- Excellent command of written and spoken French and English. Ability to communicate in a major local language will be an asset.
- Application of ethics, principles, standards and expertise in all areas of work
- Ability to work and relate to others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and a shared vision, building and nurturing strong and authentic reciprocal relationships
- An ability to work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members
- Ability to work in basic field conditions
- Competency in personal organization and priority setting with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities
The initial contract will be for 2 years with a possibility of renewal based on satisfactory performance, need for the position and availability of funds.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 26 October 2022 on Icrisat.firstname.lastname@example.org, with a letter of motivation, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer