The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Finance
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The British Embassy in Bamako is part of a worldwide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Embassy was established in 2015 and since then has expanded in line with development and humanitarian priorities in Mali. We work closely with partners and the UN Mission in Mali, to promote a return to stability in the country. Supporting the Malian people through development, stabilisation and humanitarian policy and programming is at the centre of the UK’s mission in Mali.
The corporate services department of the embassy looks after the key operational elements that are involved in the deployment of the UK’s activities in the country. This includes financial management, estates management, logistics, human resources management, health and safety and legal compliance etc.. The Finance Section, is critical in ensuring that the public funds that are allocated to the embassy for its activities are adequately spent and accounted, in line with the reporting requirements of the FCDO.
We are looking for a dynamic candidate to fill a role as a Finance Assistant to support the management and reporting of our day-to-day transactions, including funding, expenses, receipts, petty cash and payroll.You will report directly to the finance and compliance manager and have day-to-day oversight of financial transactions. This role is a key contributor in the safeguard of the organisation’s financial health. The incumbent will also occasionally provide support to the mission’s designated information technology support Officer for the management of official IT systems.
This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to work at the heart of the UK’s operations in Mali. You can expect to work closely with the wider embassy team, as well as various commercial/non commercial partners partners such as international financial institutions, NGOs, Diplomatic missions, etc…. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a strong knowledge of finance and accounting principles, have advanced MS Office skills (Especially Excel), excellent organizational skills as well as being versatile and able to efficiently manage multiple priorities at once.
Roles and responsibilities:
Your role will be to upkeep the health and efficiency of the Embassy’s management of public funds. Your work will be centred on the compliance with internal and external finance regulations. You will be responsible to assist in developing and improving day-to-day systems for financial management. This includes managing invoices, processing payments, analysing/maintaining transaction reports, financial reporting.
You will work closely with our transaction processing teams in Manila (Philippines), Milton Keynes (UK) and Pretoria (SA). You will be a key point of contact for advice to colleagues on various financial issues. You will also provide support to the
Your main duties will include:
– Update financial reports with daily transactions and assist in managing the balance sheet
– Record accounts payable and accounts receivable and monitor the compliance and accuracy of the supporting documentation on file
– Reconciliation of Bank statement, tracking as required
– Periodically prepare cost analysis reports for budget management
– Support the completion of monthly payroll in collaboration with the HR Hub
– Process the payment of taxes, social contributions and liaison with tax authoroties and INPS in this regard.
– Process invoices and follow up with clients, suppliers and partners as needed
– Supporting senior staff with the preparation of monthly and quarterly reporting exercises
– Maintain registers of telecommunication devices: phones and active sim cards
– Maintain registers of official IT equipment
– Provide Administrative support to the finance section and the senior corporate service management team as required (This may include Scanning, filing and logging account documents)
– Managing ad hoc IT queries in support of the ITSO, supporting staff with questions, eg in relation to guidance on Expenses, UK Corporate Credit Cards, forecasts
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
· Strong oral and written communication skills in English and French.
· A minimum of three years of previous experience in accounting and/or financial management
· Highly organised and detail-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work at pace on multiple priorities at the same time.
· Strong analytical skills – an ability to think independently, critically analyse information and draw out conclusions.
· Good communication skills and ability to take initiatives.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
· Excellent team working skills.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
· Previous experience of working for an Embassy or other international organisation
· Numerate and proficient in IT including Microsoft Word (essential), Excel (essential) and Oracle (desirable).
· Previous customer service experience
· Proven ability to work with finances and budgets.
Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
Application deadline: 18 July 2023
Grade Administrative Officer (AO)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Location (City) : Bamako
Type of Post: British Embassy
Salary: XOF 685,368 plus XOF 53,000 non- taxable allowances
Start Date: 1 September 2023
Other benefits and conditions of employment: Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
There is a wealth of Learning and Development (L&D) opportunities available to help staff pursue their professional development. The successful applicant will be required to undertake a number of mandatory trainings and will have access to a range of L&D opportunities both in-house and overseas.
Working hours are from 08:00 – 16:30 Monday to Thursday and 08:00 – 12:30 on Fridays (35.5 Hours)
Arrangement is possible for flexible working hours in agreement with the Line Manager.
This position may require the occupant to work longer hours for which time of in lieu will normally be taken.
Additional information The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Bamako are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Mali.
Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income
Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
THE APPLICATION SHOULD BE COMPLETED IN ENGLISH ONLY.