ICRISAT is seeking applications for the position of Communication Assistant to work in the areas of traditional and social media development, videography, events, infographics and basic graphic design.The position will be based at ICRISAT, Bamako, Mali with responsibilities in all target countries.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi- arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these disadvantaged populations to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agricultural production systems.
ICRISAT is headquartered at Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and eight country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT envisions a prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics. Its mission is to reduce poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics. ICRISAT conducts research on its mandate crops of chickpea, pigeonpea, groundnut, sorghum, pearl millet and finger millet in the arid and semi-arid tropics. The Institute focuses its work on the drylands and in protecting the environment. Tropical dryland areas are usually seen as resource-poor and perennially beset by shocks such as drought, thereby trapping dryland communities in poverty and hunger and making them dependent on external aid. Please visit www.icrisat.org
Roles and Responsibilities
The Communication Assistant will perform the following tasks under the direction of the ICRISAT’s Head Communication and Regional Information for West and Central Africa:
- develop newsworthy traditional and social media content in collaboration with a wide array of partners,
- help manage the new website and uploading news items, blogs, articles and upcoming events,
- maintain an up-to-date database of direct marketing and media contacts,
- take, archive and share photos, videos and presentations of ICRISAT’s programs through ICRISAT’s communication channels,
- create graphic design products including infographics and work with the central graphic design team to coordinate graphic design products,
- provide logistical support for ICRISAT events including workshops, field visits and meetings in West and Central Africa;
- perform any other duties assigned by the Head Communication and Regional Information and ICRISAT Management Team in West and Central Africa.
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in communications or in a related field of specialization with demonstrated in-house media experience or experience in developing engaging newsworthy content for institutional traditional and social media
- 3 to 5 years of experience in communications in the field of research and development;
- Be proficient in basic video production and graphic design Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro
- Strong writing, analytical and information synthesis skills and ability to articulate ideas clearly and concisely
- Sound understanding of agriculture, food and nutrition security, rural development and climate change and demonstrable skills in translating these for a variety of audiences
- Good knowledge of computer software and other audio-visual production, graphic design and online content management and publishing tools
- Good knowledge of social media networks
- Fluent in French and have a good command of English
- Be proactive and have good interpersonal skills
- Have a team spirit
- Ability to work under pressure, take initiative, and be dynamic and proactive
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment and have an interest in humanitarian affairs
- Knowledge and previous experience of working in regional or international development organizations would be an asset.
The initial contract will be for 2 years with a possibility of renewal based on satisfactory performance, need for the position and availability of funds.
How to apply
Applicants should apply on or before 11 February 2023 on Icrisat.email@example.com, with a letter of motivation, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience.
All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer