Capacity Development Advisor – USAID, Household and Community Activity (Keneya Nieta), Bamako, Mali
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
Reports to: DCOP
Location: Bamako, Mali
University Research Co., LLC (URC):
Guided by a strong vision of equitable and resilient systems that respond to people’s needs and emerging threats, URC helps countries and local actors to build, implement, and sustain science-driven, scalable solutions. Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical expertise to empower governments, communities, and service providers toward strengthening their own health and social systems and improve service quality. We aim to expand access to and improve the quality of services, addressing maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health; global health security and infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; nutrition and water, sanitation, and hygiene. In our interactions with each other and our clients, we stay true to our values for transformative change by focusing on:
- Creativity: by unleashing our creativity, we enhance engagement and interaction to improve problem-solving.
- Collaboration: not only our work towards the same vision and mission instill staff with a strong sense of purpose, but also enables us to complement each other’s skills and allocate work to maximize everyone’s strengths.
- Accountability: we hold ourselves responsible for accomplishing goals, completing assignments, and making decisions.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion: we embrace the importance of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, where our leadership and staff model behavior that enriches our organization, demonstrates respect for all people, and supports opportunities for all staff.
- Transparency: we understand that when employees deeply trust one another and their leaders, they will be more engaged in their roles because they will not be worried about unfair treatment.
URC is seeking an experienced Capacity Development Advisor for the USAID, Household and Community Health (HCH) Activity (Keneya Nieta) in Mali. The purpose of the HCH Activity is to sustainably reduce maternal, newborn, and child (MNC) mortality and to increase individual and household adoption of healthy behaviors and demand for and use of health services in the regions of Sikasso, Mopti, and Segou by increasing the capacity of Malians to plan, finance, and manage their own health at the individual, household, and community levels. This five-year Activity targets 26 districts in Sikasso, Mopti, and Segou regions.
The Capacity Development Advisor will lead and implement HCH’s systemic organizational capacity-building strategy for local implementing partners as part of the Activity’s sustainability plan.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Lead and oversee the implementation of HCH’s capacity development strategy, focusing on enhancing the capabilities of local implementing partners, while upholding the performance and quality standards of the Activity’s interventions.
- Coordinate the design and deployment of capacity-building tools, monitoring the progress of local implementing partners against established plans.
- Collaborate closely with the rest of the Activity team to plan, implement, track/monitor, assure the quality of, and communicate the work performed.
- Execute capacity development activities for local implementing partners, addressing identified institutional gaps with a strategic and targeted approach.
- Contribute strategic insights to the overall capacity development component, offering recommendations for adjustments based on ongoing lessons learned during the Activity’s implementation.
- Mobilize capacity development technical assistance (TA) as needed and provide oversight for both long- and short-term staff engaged in local capacity development tasks to ensure effective and impactful delivery.
- Responsible for reporting for this workstream.
- As needed, attend, and represent the organization in various events, seminars, and functions.
- Other tasks consistent with the nature of this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills demonstrating an ability to communicate with various audiences including stakeholders, partners, and donors.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, and short deadlines. and intense pressure to perform.
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, team building, and coordination skills.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in social sciences or related field. A master’s degree in business management, Business Administration, Organizational Behavior, Public Health, or International Development is an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of experience in years of professional experience in program/project development, and implementation in low- or middle-income countrycontext, preferably with USAID projects. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Strong experience in capacity development, including organizational capacity development, designing diagnostic tools, facilitating capacity development action plans, and designing effective capacity development interventions (including for resource mobilization, IT, MEL, communications, GYSI/GESI etc.,) highly preferred.
- Demonstrated success mobilizing and leading teams of individuals with diverse skills and interests, as well as success in mentoring and/or coaching staff.
- Demonstrated presentation, facilitation, and training skills, both online and in-person, that can influence decision-makers, and foster organizational change strategies, with implementation occurring within a complex organizational setting.
- Fluency in French language required; and English language skills preferred.
This job is open to candidates legally authorized to work in Mali. No expatriate/TCN allowances have been budgeted for this position.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.